The Malta Citizenship Individual Investor Programme (IIP) was brought into use by the Government of Malta on the grounds of Legal Notice 47 of 2014.
The advantages of Maltese citizenship
- Malta is a politically stable and economically sound country. Maltese economy grows by 5% annually.
- Tax planning perspectives look positive.
- Free choice of domicile
- Free travel to more than 167 countries including EU, UK, USA and Canada, Australia and NZ, Korea and Japan.
- A right to stay in one place within the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 6 months period.
- Access to top-tier British Education
- Granting citizenship procedure is being done under strict confidentiality.
- Tax-exempt world income for the citizens who stay in Malta less than 183 days in a year.
The framework for Maltese citizenship through investments
Under the terms of the program the main Applicant is to make the following payments:
- Donation €650,000 to the National Development and Social Fund (NDSF)
- Spouse: €25,000
- Each dependent child 0-17 years: €25,000
- Each dependent aged 18-26 years, not married and financially dependent on the main
- Applicant: €50,000
- Each dependent aged 55 or over, residing with the main Applicant and financially dependent on the Applicant: €50,000
Purchase of government bonds in the amount of at least €150,000 and holding them for a period of at least 5 years.
Purchase of real estate for a period of at least 5 years with a minimum value of €350,000,
or rental of real estate for the same period at annual annuity of at least €16,000.
Payment of passport fee and reimbursement of expenses for conducting due diligence are required.
Eligibility criteria for Applicants
It is assumed that the investor is not a sanction designated person and no constraints and prohibitive measures are applied to him/her including a travel ban to the USA, Canada, EU and UK.
The investor shall not have a criminal record, nor criminal proceedings shall not be opened against him/her.
The investor’s income sources must be transparent.
The business and personal reputation of the investor must be unchallenged.
Investor credit history must be favourable.
The general state of health is good.
The procedure for obtaining citizenship takes from 12 to 14 months.
Investor family members: spouse, children under 26 years of age, children dependent on parents regardless of age, parents of both spouses over 55 receive citizenship along with the main Applicant. Maltese citizenship is inherited.
Step sequence to get Maltese citizenship
1. Establishment of a contract
Submission of the copies of passports for all family members. A free check is made within one working day. The contract can be concluded in the offices of our company or online. The client receives a verification report (an extract from the World-Check database of Thomson Reuters).
2. Obtaining a residence permit card
Our specialists request and receive certificates of good conduct and fill out government-approved questionnaires. The Applicant provides the originals of passports and other documents and signs the questionnaires. Translation, notarization and apostille are made. A package of documents is filed to the Malta State Citizenship Agency. Reception of residence permit cards is scheduled within 1-3 months.
3. Application processing
The state agency reviews the application and carries out the necessary checks in up to 4 months, and no visit to Malta is required. Request for additional documents is possible.
After receiving the approving decision, the main Applicant must make a donation to the National Development and Social Fund (NDSF) within 25 days.
A given period for the purchase of government bonds, as well as the purchase or lease of real estate, is four months.
4. Acquiring citizenship of Malta
Maltese citizenship will be obtained in one year. A visit to Malta is necessary for all persons indicated in the application to take the oath and obtain a certificate of naturalization. Passports will be issued in a month